Giving thanks for all of you who bring our mission to life for our guests
“The great activity of our life is to love. I see God as one act – just loving – like the sun always shining.” –Father Alfred Boeddeker
Although winter is coming, the sun was certainly shining, and love was in the air for the inaugural Giving Thanks on Golden Gate Block Party and Distribution to those in need. We were honored to welcome Mayor London Breed, San Francisco Fire Department Chief Jeanine Nicholson, San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott, Supervisor Asha Safai, Supervisor Rafael Mandelman, board members, and nearly one hundred volunteers who gathered to spread holiday cheer in the heart of the Tenderloin. Supporters passed out hand-woven winter hats, scarves, hygiene kits, hot chocolate and holiday cookies to children and seniors alike.
“This is a community that struggles and there are a lot of people in need. So, they are fortunate to have a place like St. Anthony’s to go, not just during the holidays and on Thanksgiving. This is year-round,” said Mayor London Breed as she spread holiday cheer to guests and volunteers in the Tenderloin.
The festive, guest centric celebration was preceded by the Giving Thanks on Golden Gate Preparation Day and the 11th annual SF Turkey Drop Off. As industrious volunteers packaged hygiene kits in the Poverello Room, longtime donor and organizer Pierre Smit brought more than 700 turkeys to the Dining Room. “It’s been a true blessing to give our time for a good cause to ensure our neighbors enjoy a warm holiday meal,” said Mr. Smit.
Thanksgiving at St. Anthony’s wouldn’t be complete without a visit from our longtime supporter Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her family. The day before the holiday, the Speaker and her grandchildren joined us in the dining room to serve and connect with our guests. We are so grateful for her outspoken advocacy for our Franciscan values and her heartfelt belief in our mission as peacemakers in San Francisco and beyond.
On Thanksgiving, we celebrated the joy of the season with nearly 3,000 guests as well as our incredible volunteers, donors, and team members! From the bottom of our hearts, thank you to all of you for helping us continue to uplift our neighbors in need today, and all year-round.
See our stories of positive transformation in the Tenderloin:
- CBS KPIX: Longtime benefactor donates 679 turkeys to St. Anthony’s Dining Room in S.F.
- NBC Bay Area: San Francisco Tenderloin Thanksgiving Party
- KTVU: St. Anthony’s Foundation prepares kits for ahead of tenderloin block party
- KQED radio: KQED-FM 11-22-22 Block Party.mp3
- KCBS radio: St. Anthony Hosts Thanksgiving Party To Support SF Community (audacy.com)
- KTVU: Bay Area food banks, hit hard by inflation, report ‘dire need’ for donations
- KRON 4 TV: San Francisco nonprofit hosting Thanksgiving events for those experiencing homelessness
- SFGATE: House Speaker Pelosi to Attend Giving Thanks on Golden Gate Block Party
- The Standard: The Standard Guide to Volunteering This Thanksgiving (sfstandard.com)
- SF Examiner: Got the Gratitude Bug? Volunteer This Thanksgiving Weekend
- KCBS Radio: St. Anthony’s Invites the Community in Need to Have a Meal Together
- CBS TV: St. Anthony’s Distributes Nearly 3,000 Thanksgiving Meals to Those in Need
- Sing Tao: The Church Held a Street Party
- MSN/Local News Matters: St. Anthony’s Serves up Happier Thanksgiving for Thousands in Tenderloin
- KTVU: Giving Thanks on Golden Gate and Interview with St. Anthony’s CEO, Nils Behnke
- ABC KGO TV: St. Anthony’s Provided a Warm Meal to Thousands This Thanksgiving
- CBS KPIX https://bit.ly/3F7V7yH