Department: Tenderloin Tech Lab
Our mission is to provide residents of the Tenderloin and other nonprofits with important technology and vocational skills that increase opportunities for employment, access to essential community resources, and connections with family and friends.
Weekend Individual Tutor:
Volunteers will work 1 on 1 with guests to answer technical related questions and help overcome computer-related anxiety. You must be open to answering questions dealing with the task the client is trying to master. This may include problems they encounter navigating the computer or writing a resume. This volunteer must be sociable in order to meet the needs of the client(s) with the understanding that this is a free service offered to the residents of the Tenderloin. We ask that the volunteer be flexible in their hours including weekends.
Duties & Tasks:
- Provides instruction and assistance to guests in the use and understanding of technological devices.
- Provides assistance to guests in accessing and utilization of computer resources, e.g., learning modules, Internet research.
- Performs duties such as proof reading resumes, troubleshooting questions about smartphones/laptops, basic computer questions.
- Cooperation with staff, guests, and volunteers.
- Protect confidentiality of the personal information shared as part of tutoring, the privacy of our guests/students and not share such information with other parties.
- Must be at least 16 years of age. x Appropriate technical and computer knowledge, patience with diverse populations (many of whom are new to computers and may have anxiety issues).
- Experience or ability in working with diverse and low-income populations.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint strongly preferred).
- Strong social Media and blogging skills (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Ability to train clients in basic computer skills, including Internet and email.
- Ability to volunteer with minimal supervision and in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to be polite, patient, tactful, and firm with clients the program serves.
- Excellent volunteer habits: punctual, reliable, cooperative, and team-oriented.
- Commitment to St. Anthony Foundation Statement of Values and desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving people who are homeless and/or low-income.
3 month minimum. Weekly shift preferred but, not required!
Fridays 10:00am to 11:45am or 2:00pm to 4:15 pm
Saturdays 10:00am to noon
Sundays noon to 2:00pm
Being punctual is extremely important and repeated failure to report to your Volunteer coordinator on time may result in dismal from St. Anthony Foundation.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Interview: Interviews will be scheduled and conducted as applications are submitted
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview
First Volunteer Shift: Week following successful interview