Truck “Ride-Along” Assistant – aka Siphai’s Sleigh!
Department: Free Clothing Program
St. Anthony Foundation’s Free Clothing Program is San Francisco’s largest free clothing program, providing warm clothes, interview or employment apparel, and children’s clothing to homeless and low-income families and individuals. Through over $3 million worth of clothing donations from individuals and corporate partners and the dedication of nearly 1,200 volunteer hours each month, the program provides 39,000 sets of free new and like-new clothing to nearly 11,000 guests each year, including over 2,900 children.
The truck ride along volunteer assistant will assist our driver in making Bay Area runs to pick up clothing donations which are vital to our program in providing guests with high quality clothing on a daily basis. This volunteer will assist our driver and other St. Anthony’s staff in transporting clothing donations from the donation drive host site, onto our truck and ultimately to our clothing program on the second floor, so that it can be sorted, processed, and given out to guests in the Free Clothing store. Please note the RideAlong volunteer may not drive St. Anthony’s trucks or vehicles at any times.
Duties & Tasks:
- Assist with the pick-up and drop off of clothing donations.
- Communicate with donors onsite during the pick-up and drop off process.
- Follow all truck safety guidelines.
- Lift and move bags and boxes of clothing donations (up to 50 pounds).
- Accompany our driver on drives in and around the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Must wear comfortable/athletic clothing.
- Steel-toe boots will be provided while volunteering
- Minimum age: 18 years old.
- Ability to take direction.
- Awareness of surroundings and potential safety hazards at all times.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb in and out of the truck repeatedly.
- Ability to stay on feet for full shift.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to be a polite and respectful representative of St. Anthony’s with donors.
- Ability to successfully volunteer with a diverse client population including people who are homeless and/or low-income, and people with physical and/or mental health disabilities.
- Excellent volunteer habits: professional, punctual, reliable, cooperative and team oriented.
- Ability to volunteer with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Adherence to guidelines explained in the Volunteer/Intern Handbook.
- Commitment to St. Anthony Foundation Statement of Values and desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving people who are homeless and low-income.
(Needed year round, and especially during Holiday Season: Nov, Dec, and Jan)
Minimum of 3 hours per week for 3+ months
- Tuesdays: 8:30 am – 12 pm; 1 pm – 4 pm
- Thursdays: 8:30 am – 12 pm; 1 pm – 4 pm
- Fridays: 8:30 am – 12 pm; 1 pm – 4 pm
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Interview: Interviews will be scheduled and conducted as applications are submitted
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview
First Volunteer Shift: Week following successful interview