Department: Tenderloin Tech Lab
The Tech Lab is the Tenderloin’s only free technology center specializing in bridging the digital divide and looking for technology solutions for issues of poverty. Over 100 homeless and low-income clients pass through the TechLab each day to access technology and build their employment skills. The TechLab provides direct services to homeless and low-income individuals through classes in basic and intermediate computer skills, specialty workshops, one-on-one tutoring and drop-in access.
Guest Associate Volunteer Description
Under the supervision of the Assistant Manager, the TechLab Guest Associate volunteer works to identify and address educational needs and goals of TechLab guests. This position involves direct customer service with guests: setting a welcoming, respectful tone; ensuring a positive tech lab experience for guests; following guidelines and adhering to policies while also helping create a harmonious and pleasant learning environment. The Guest Associate Volunteer is the initial contact for guests of the Tech Lab and will also be the person to help our guests sign in to our Wi Fi Lounge. The ideal volunteer candidate is very comfortable meeting and interacting with people from diverse backgrounds, including individuals experiencing homelessness, trauma, substance use/abuse/recovery, mental and physical health challenges, learning disabilities and other challenges that can cause barriers to learning or access to computers and technology.
Want to learn a lot about yourself and others? Consider applying to join our team as a volunteer!
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and experience, including problem resolution, conflict management and customer service.
- Experience serving or ability to engage with diverse and low-income populations, many of whom have experienced homelessness, substance abuse and/or trauma.
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel, Outlook, data entry, data search, internet research.
- Ability to function with grace and humor in a demanding environment.
- Ability to be polite, tactful, and firm with clients the program serves, including the ability to maintain professional boundaries at all times.
- Bi-lingual preferred (English/Spanish), but not required
- Punctual, reliable, collaborative, and team-oriented.
- Strong desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving those who are homeless and low-income.
- Commitment to St. Anthony Foundation Statement of Values and desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving people who are homeless and low-income.
We currently have a high need for volunteers during the following shifts:
- Mondays – Friday: 9:30 – 11:30 AM and 2 – 4 PM
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Interview: Interviews will be scheduled and conducted as applications are submitted
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview
First Volunteer Shift: Week following successful interview