Department: Free Clothing Program
St. Anthony’s Free Clothing Program (FCP) is San Francisco’s largest free clothing program and is the only one which serves families. FCP provides warm clothes, interview and employment apparel, and children’s clothing to low-income families and individuals, including those who are homeless. The Free Clothing Program serves approximately 125 guests a day in three services: Men’s Service, Women’s Service, and Family Service. It is our goal to distribute the highest quality of clothing possible to ensure that our guests have a positive and dignified shopping experience.
The Personal Shopper volunteers directly with guests, helping men, women, and children find the clothing they need.
Duties & Tasks:
- Assist with the processing of donations per FCP guidelines and standards.
- Prepare clothing racks for display in our “store.”
- Communicate with guests to understand their needs and help find the clothing they are looking for.
- Retrieve clothing and other requested items from the back of house donations for our guests.
- Organize “store” by picking up fallen clothes, collecting empty hangers, and tidying “shopping” space.
- Minimum age of 15 years old.
- Bilingual speaking skills preferred (especially Cantonese and/or Spanish).
- Ability to be professional, polite, and tactful with our guests and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Ability to successfully volunteer with a diverse client population including people who are homeless and/or low-income, and people with physical and/or mental health disabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent volunteer habits: professional, punctual, reliable, cooperative and team oriented.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Adherence to guidelines explained in the Volunteer/Intern Handbook.
- Commitment to St. Anthony Foundation Statement of Values and desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving the homeless and low-income.
We currently have a high need for volunteers during the following shifts:
Tuesday 8:15 am-12:00 pm
Wednesdays 8:15 am-12:00 pm
Fridays 8:15 am-12:00
Minimum commitment of 6+ months is preferred.
Application Deadline: Open until volunteer capacity reached
Interview: Interviews will be scheduled and conducted as applications are submitted
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview
First Volunteer Shift: Scheduled by Clothing Program Volunteer and Processing Lead