Department: Social Work Center
The St. Anthony Foundation’s Social Work Center serves San Francisco residents who are 18 and over. We offer information and referral, case management, and supportive counseling.
The Pantry Assistant Volunteer will greet and engage our eligible clients in the Social Work Center Pantry by assisting them in their shopping experiences. The volunteer will be able to explain the pantry guidelines and assist the client in choosing food from the shelves. Casual conversation is highly encouraged. If social work issues come up during a visit, the volunteer should refer back to the referring social worker or the Social Work Center volunteer supervisor. The volunteer will be trained in ETO TouchPoints computer software and will be responsible for entering all completed entries.
Duties & Tasks:
- Accept pantry visits referrals from triage social worker
- Look up client in pantry ETO TouchPoint software to screen for eligibility
- Assist client with pantry visit
- Record client pantry visits in TouchPoint software
- Maintain open communication with Social Work Center volunteer supervisor
- Good active listening skills
- Ability to engage a diverse population
- Must be computer literate and possess basic tying skills
- A non-judgmental attitude
- Ability to set limits
- Good oral communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Ability to volunteer with minimal supervision while being a good team player.
- Minimum age 22
- Commitment to St. Anthony’s Statement of Values and a desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving the homeless and low-income, and to the preservation of appropriate health care for the uninsured and poor.
Every Friday from 12:45 pm – 2:30 pm (firm)
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Interview: Scheduled following approved application.
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview.
First Volunteer Shift: Scheduled by Volunteer Supervisor to follow Volunteer Orientation.