Department: Tenderloin Tech Lab
Our mission is to provide residents of the Tenderloin with important technology and vocational skills that increase opportunities for employment, access to essential community resources, and connections with family and friends.
Volunteers will work 1 on 1 with guests to answer technical related questions and help overcome computer-related anxiety. You must be open to answering questions dealing with the task the guest is trying to master. This will range from problems they encounter navigating the computer to writing a resume. This volunteer must be sociable in order to meet the needs of the client(s) with the understanding that this is a free service offered to the residents of the Tenderloin. The guests value relationship building with the tutors.
Duties & Tasks:
- Provides instruction and assistance to guests in the use and understanding of technological devices.
- Attend appointments with guests during service hours.
- Provides assistance to guests in accessing and utilization of computer resources, e.g., learning modules, Internet research.
- Performs duties such as proof-reading resumes, troubleshooting questions about smartphones/laptops, and other basic computer questions.
- Cooperation with staff, guests, and volunteers.
- Protect confidentiality of the personal information shared as part of tutoring, the privacy of our guests/students, and not share such information with other parties.
- Periodic check-ins/ debriefs via phone, email, or in person with Program Coordinator if ever necessary.
- We will be providing educational materials for volunteers to read so they can learn about social justice issues. (Digital literacy, homelessness, and those living in the low-income bracket)
- Minimum age 16.
- Can translate/ speak any of these languages: Spanish, Cantonese/ Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, Vietnamese, and Tagalog.
- Emotional intelligence and awareness.
- Appropriate technical and computer knowledge (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint strongly preferred).
- Experience or ability in working with diverse and low-income populations, who may be nervous or anxious with new technology or the subject matter.
- Strong Social Media and blogging skills (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Ability to train guests in basic computer skills, including Internet and email.
- Ability to be polite, tactful, and firm with guests the program that serves, including the ability to maintain professional boundaries at all times.
Attend a shift once a week for a minimum of 6 months.
- Monday: 2PM – 4PM
- Wednesday: 2PM – 4PM
- Thursday: 2PM – 4PM
- Friday: 2PM – 4PM
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Interview: Scheduled following approved application.
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview.
First Volunteer Shift: Week following successful interview