Department: Free Clothing Program
St. Anthony Foundation’s Free Clothing Program is San Francisco’s largest free clothing program, providing warm clothes, interview or employment apparel, and children’s clothing to homeless and low-income families and individuals. Through over $3 million worth of clothing donations from individuals and corporate partners and the dedication of nearly 1,200 volunteer hours each month, the program provides 39,000 sets of free new and like-new clothing to nearly 11,000 guests each year, including over 2,900 children.
One of the biggest obstacles for our guests seeking a job is obtaining appropriate job interview clothing. One of our guests named Steven B. said it best: “I don’t even feel comfortable filling out a job application, let alone going on a job interview, because my clothes are dirty and smelly.” To remedy this, the Free Clothing Program has worked to provide brand new suits and shoes to our male guests who are unemployed and seeking work.
The Tailor will assist our guests by identifying their clothing sizes, helping them choose appropriate job interview clothing, and tailoring suits to a perfect fit. Such service provides men not only with a fitted new suit, but also gives our guests a confidence boost that can enhance prospects for a new job.
Duties & Tasks:
- Assist and instruct guests on how to determine their clothing sizes
- Assist and instruct guests on how to put together an appropriate job interview outfit.
- Tailoring of new suits
- Assist in restocking racks with the highest quality clothing possible.
- Tailoring and/or sewing experience.
- Ability to be professional, polite, and tactful with our guests and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Ability to successfully volunteer with a diverse client population including homeless, low-income, and mentally-disabled persons.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent volunteer habits: professional, punctual, reliable, cooperative and team oriented.
- Ability to volunteer with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Adherence to guidelines explained in the Volunteer/Intern Handbook.
- Commitment to St. Anthony Foundation Statement of Values and desire to volunteer for a social service agency serving the homeless and low-income.
Minimum of 4 hours per week for 6+ months between 8am-4:30pm Mondays-Fridays.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Interview: Interviews will be scheduled and conducted as applications are submitted
Orientation: Next scheduled Individual Volunteer Orientation following successful interview
First Volunteer Shift: Week following successful interview