Social Knitworking: St. Anthony’s Homemade Scarf and Hat Donation Drive
Together we can provide comfort to our homeless, low-income, and vulnerable neighbors with handmade gifts.
Human connection is the heart of St. Anthony’s. It is this principle that guides our work: connection happens in person and in the ways we utilize our personal talents and skills to help our brothers and sisters. Hand-knitted hats or scarves touch those in most need of comfort and solace. During the Social Knitwork season, our staff and volunteers donate these handmade items as powerful symbols of love, sources of comfort and proof that connection and care are interwoven and can come in the form of a warm, hand-knitted gift sent from afar.
If you knit or crochet (or know someone who does!), please help us by donating handmade hats and scarves this holiday season. Scarves in dark or neutral colors for men are needed, as well as hats for men, women and children. Our goal is to collect 3,000 scarves and 2,000 hats as gifts for our guests during this winter. Will you join in to share the joy your handiwork creates?
Here’s how you can help!
- Knit or crochet a hat or scarf yourself then send it to us (see address information below).
- Make a goal with your knitting group or friends and knit together, then send it to us (see address information below).
- Size: scarves should be 5-7” wide and 54-70” long.
- Yarn: mid-weight yarns in washable wool or wool/acrylic blends (please no cotton yarn, it is not as warm and holds moisture).
- Colors: neutral, classic or bright (please no white or light-colored yarns, which soil easily).
- Yardage: ~200 – 250, depending on yarn weight.
- Needle size: U.S. 7-9 depending on yarn weight.
- NOTE: if you are making a hat, we need them for men, women and children of all ages, so it is crafter’s choice.
Socks may be mailed or dropped off to:
Attn: Social Knitworking
150 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Get out your needles and make something wonderful happen! Join our Social Knitwork today.