Seven decades ago, Franciscan Friar Fr. Alfred Boeddeker had a vision of uniting vulnerable populations in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood.
His vision became a reality on October 4, 1950 as he opened the doors of St. Anthony’s Dining Room. The first day our Dining Room opened, Fr. Alfred expected to serve 150 meals to low-income and homeless Guests. He ended up serving 400.
This day marked the beginning of an era – one in which all individuals could come together, enjoy a hot, nutritious meal, and be part of a loving community.
Today, we continue to thrive on serving hope daily and providing essential support to our Guests in need. We bring people together in this work because we know it takes a community to break down barriers and create a society where all people flourish. Find out how you can help.
1950-1980 Fr. Alfred Boeddeker
1980-1988 James “Seamus” D. Kilty
1988-1998 Jeanne Zarka Brooks
1998-2002 Sr. Patrick Curran, RSM
2002-2009 Fr. John Hardin, OFM
2010-2012 Shari Roeseler
2012-2019 Barry Stenger
2019-2020 Jose Ramirez
Position Title changed to Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
2020-Present Nils Behnke